Lekki conservation center is a nature reserve park /tourist attraction sight located along lekki – Epe Express, Lekki peninsula 2, Lekki.
The park covers approximately 78 hectares of land and houses the longest canopy walkway in Africa amongst others. They open every day from 8:30am – 5pm.
I visited LCC with my ALL MY VIEW squad on a Saturday afternoon and it was indeed a day of discovery and adventure.
Lekki conservation center is in Lagos so first, you’d have to be in Lagos to access this park. That said, if you’re coming from the mainland, get to Obalende /CMS and locate a bus going to Lekki /Ajah then alight in Trailer Garage busstop. The park’s signage is right there in the bus stop and all you need to do is turn to the right and walk into the park.
If on the other hand you’re coming from the island, take a bus/cab to trailer garage busstop, cross over to the other side and walk into the park (you’d see the LCC signage)
The sum of 1000 Naira is paid to access the park and everything in it. However, an added 1000 Naira is needed to climb the canopy walkway.
SPECIAL FEATURES IN LCC
- 401- METRE LONG CANOPY WALKWAY
This is a suspended swinging bridge walkway with 6 towers specifically designed to treat visitors to a unique and unforgettable experience. Here, you get to have a bird’s eye view of the habitat.
P. S——- Take precautions not to look down while walking on the bridge especially if you’re scared of heights.
- TREE HOUSE
You’d need to climb some steps made with wood to access this house. Mind your steps while climbing so you don’t lose your footing.
P. S— The climb is totally worth it when you eventually get to the tree house so yea, you should definitely try that out.
Don’t forget to sign your name on the wood when you climb( Well, this isn’t compulsory but hey!! It’s all part of the fun). Also, watch your steps on the journey down.
Like it’s name suggests, this is a park where you can relax and enjoy the journey so far. It contains some gazebos, the floor games ( Ludo, snakes and ladder, street tennis court and the almighty chess board with 16 big pieces).
The barbecue joint is located here too
- 2KM WALKWAY
Everyone goes through this walkway to access every other center listed above. Here’s where you’ll see the monkeys and birds in their natural habitat. (Be sure to secure your belongings because the monkeys can be very mischievous, you wouldn’t want to lose your food or purse now, would you?)
- SEE THE 95 YEARS OLD GIANT TURTLE AND OTHER ANIMALS
Get to meet the turtle, peacock and crocodiles. Personally, I didnt care so much about the turtle, it was the peacock that had all my attention. An absolute show stopper, occasionally, the peacock made its appearance , spreading it’s colorful feathers and soaking in all the glory like the royalty she was . Asides from the turtle and peacock, you might get to see the crocodiles too(I didn’t see one though but you might).
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
* It’s better to visit during the dry season when the grounds/grasses aren’t slippery and wet. No one is allowed to climb the walkway when it rains.
* Wear comfortable clothing and footwears when visiting. Tight outfits and heels are a no no considering the fact that you’d be walking for a while to access all the locations I mentioned above.
* There’s only one entry and exit point so be sure to not wander farther than you can walk back.
* Carry your own food especially if you’re on a budget. Be sure to hold onto them tight though, the monkeys on the walkway into the park are naughty and might snatch it( This applies to all your belongings especially your phones.. Make videos or take pictures with caution. Don’t worry, you’d get to a point where you’ll find little or no monkeys )
* Have a guide if you want to learn more about the park and its environs.
* Carry little or less belongings : you’d be walking for a while and you wouldn’t want your bag to weigh you down.
* If you can, visit in pairs / groups, it makes it more fun. Thankfully, I had my ALL MY VIEW Squad to visit with. ( p.s — All my view is a travel community where travelers and travel lovers connect, engage, take parts in projects, share ideas involving travel, plan trips and travel together. In other news , they’re the travel buddies you need. With branches in Benin and now Lagos, they ensure you have maximum fun during all trips taken. One of the perks of being a member is that you get to visit LCC for free all through the year.. In case you have questions on how to become a member , send a DM to their Instagram account Allmyview or my account Thatgiftedgirl .
HIGHLIGHT OF MY VISIT
I’d say the highlight of my visit was spending quality time with the crew.. I got to bond with the other members over small chops and drinks.
I did enjoy the canopy walkway even though we were all screaming during the walk (sssshhh.. You didn’t hear it from me though).
P. S– The chess board is a beautiful picture location so be sure to get a few good shots from there.
All in all, I had an amazing time and yes,before you ask, I’d be revisiting LCC if and when I have the opportunity (member privilege).
Ever been to LCC?… What was the experience like for you?